Thursday, February 18, 2010

Bandiversary, To Be IN or OUT Of The Closet?!

Bandiversary first........8 months ago today my gizmo came to live inside of me. I couldn't have come this far without the help of my gizmo. What a great tool in my weight loss journey. I still have no regrets ~ I did this for me. There are things I miss eating and sometimes I miss being able to eat lots of something because it tastes so good but overall I have no regrets.

Has taking off 46 lbs since surgery made me a better person? Has it changed my outlook on life? Has it changed my relationships? Has it changed my goals in life? Has it changed how I feel about myself? I think not. I'm still me, I still joke about my fat butt, I am still a friend to many, I still cry, I still have feelings.... The weight loss hasn't uncovered anything, my inner person is still there ~ it's just exposed a little more and still just as vulnerable to life's hurts, life's excitements, life's joys... I think I might have gained some self confidence, I still see all my flaws, (what they didn't go away with the weight?!), I just don't really feel a big huge change ~ maybe later ~ maybe not @ all....


Today I weighed in @ 186.2
Recap:
Day 1 of liquids before surgery = 232.2 so minus 46 lbs since surgery. That's almost 6 lbs per month. About 1 and 1/2 lbs per week. That average is OK with me and I know it will kick up a notch when I get back on my REGULAR exercise routine!

Now the closet issue.....
Just when I feel like I have conquered closet eating (you know those "secret" things you eat when nobody is looking) I take a bite of something in public and the food police come out....and they ask questions and make remarks like:
"why are you eating that?"
"should you be eating that?"
"is that on your diet?"
"I was wondering if you were going to eat ALL of that."
"that's really chewey, make sure you chew that good."
"don't forget to chew chew chew."
"someone ate cornbread for breakfast."
"can you eat that with the band?"
"is such and such band friendly?"
You get the picture, this really ticks me off, I know I have not taken care of my body over the years and the food police questions/remarks haven't helped so far so why do you think they would help now?! ...just saying...


Onward and downward I go.......one meal @ a time, one day @ a time.....

10 comments:

Sally Hamilton said...

Ah yes ... the food police. I know co-worker and family members make comments about things I'm eating that they think I shouldn't be eating just to be helpful, but yes, it's annoying. However, now that folks are accustomed to seeing the "thin me" instead of the "fat me", the food police comments are slowing down.

Sandy said...

I think we need to come up with a good comeback for those oh so helpful food police. I guess a glare doesn't work very well. Maybe just answer "yes" and ignore them.

MB said...

Congrats on eight months! You are doing fantastic.

And I agree--food police are annoying!

Lap Band Groupie said...

Congrats on the WL, you're doing great! Food police...just give it right back to them LOL!

Gen said...

The food police - just one of the many reasons why I have decided to remain in the closet (mostly).

Happy 8 months! You know we have lost the exact same amount - and I started at 234 - just 2 pounds more than you. So I know just how you feel about getting those 46 pounds off!

Congrats!

meandmygizmo said...

Wow, I didn't know there were so many food police issues out there! Thanks for the comments! I know all the food police are trying to be helpful, I know they want to help me eat right, but for real, I already know if I should eat it or not and I'm gonna do what the voices in my head are telling me to do! (and that is usually EAT IT ~ just one bite can't hurt). ;-)

BEE said...

i suprisingly have yet to take a pic maybe ill have hubby do that later
:)

BEE said...

thanks for commenting on my blog
i just joined yours
186 is amazing
you are doing great

DB said...

Happy Bandiversary! You are doing great - congratulations!

Amy W. said...

I cannot believe it has been 8 months! Congrats and I cant wait to see the 180's...or hell...the 1 anythings! Your one year will be here before you know it!