Monday, May 3, 2010

MyNewSelf Success Story!!

Remember I posted the surgical place does a newsletter with testimonies? Well this month has mine! I am not sure how to post the newsletter itself with the pictures so until I figure that out here's my words:


Weight loss surgery? Me?! YES!
But not without a lot of consideration, research and weighing of the pros and
cons first! To me surgery is not something to be taken lightly. But I was at a
point in my life where I needed to take charge of my health and I needed help! I
needed a tool. So on 6/18/2009 I was given my “gizmo”, a Lap-band, by Doctor
Minkin.
The Lap-band was not the magic cure for my obesity, because I still have to do
my part! I need to eat right, keep a food journal and exercise, but it is a great
tool for taking weight off and keeping it off.
In the 10 months since surgery I have lost 51 pounds. I feel so much better
about my health, my eating habits and the path my life is taking. I no longer
dread exercise because it feels good to set goals and accomplish them, to push
my body beyond limits it has never seen. I like learning about high protein
foods, what foods work best with my Lap-band, and about supplements.
My gizmo has changed my life for the better. Onward and downward…..




4 comments:

Susan said...

I'm working with Dr Minkin's office too. Any tips? Things you wish you'd asked or had gone differently??

meandmygizmo said...

Dr. Minkin answered all my questions. I wrote them down and took them with me to my appts and he had no problem taking the time to answer/explain things. My port spot has bothered me but has gotten much better. I didn't know gall bladder issues can arise after surgery but if I had of, I still would have had it done. My only concern on surgery day was saying goodbye to hubby in a hallway and him not being able to go w/me into the "holding area" where I was for a very long time. (emergency surgery before mine so I was delayed) It could have been a more family friendly thing as I had nothing to calm me and I was nervous there by myself ;-(. Hubby talked to hospital people about that part of the experience and expressed his concerns. Overall very happy with MyNewSelf facility, Dr. Minkin and Jessie ~ they go the extra mile! Feel free to email me (meandmygizmo@gmail.com) if I can answer any other questions. Julie ;-)

MandaPanda said...

Hi! Just found your blog. You're doing so great! You deserve all the accolades you get with this newsletter. I'm in preband land and I really appreciate you sharing your experience with others.

Susan said...

Thanks for your comments! It's great to hear from someone who has gone through the same program. I'll be sure to ask Dr. Minkin about the gallbladder thing.